Covid19 Test Social Story TEXT ONLY
AsIAm Covid19 Testing Social Story
If the doctor thinks that I might have Covid 19, I may have to have a test to check if I do.
I might not feel sick or unwell, but the doctor may still decide I need to have a test. This is to keep me safe and others around me safe.
If the doctor decides I need a test there are three ways this might happen;
- If I live in a rural area or far from a hospital, someone may come in an ambulance to test me at my house.
- An appointment might be made for me to visit a Testing Centre close to me. I can leave after the test is finished.
- If I am unwell and staying in hospital, the doctor in the hospital will test me there.
When the doctor or medical worker is testing me, they will use a swab. A swab is a small thin stick with cotton wool at the end. They will
- Put the swab in my mouth and rub the inside of my throat
- Put the swab up my nose and rub the inside of my nose
I might not like the feeling of this, and that is ok. It will be over very quickly, and the doctor or medical worker needs to do this to check if I am unwell.
When the test is finished, the doctor will send the results to a laboratory to be checked. It may take a few days to get the results. During this time, I should still be careful to wash my hands and self isolate.
If the test shows I have Covid 19, I do not need to panic. The doctor will tell me how to stay healthy. I will need to stay indoors until I feel better.
If the test shows I do not have Covid 19, I still must be very careful with washing my hands, keeping my distance from people outside of my house and only going outside when I have to.