Home > Making a Complaint About Healthcare

Making a Complaint About Healthcare

healthcare complaint


If you feel that you and your child are not receiving satisfactory support in a clinical context (e.g., during a diagnosis or trying to access a particular therapy), getting in touch with the Complaint Officer at your Local Health Office is usually the first course of action. From there, they will be able assess if they can deal with your concerns on their own or whether you will need to take the complaint further.


If your healthcare complaint is related to the performance of an individual doctor on their fitness to practice, then you should contact the Irish Medical Council. Some complaints may be transferred to another regulatory body or healthcare employer, where deemed appropriate.


If your complaint is related to the HSE, then you can complain in several ways, including: 

Can this be improved? Contact webeditor@asiam.ie if you have any suggestions for this article.