AsIAm has delivered The Autism Experience Exhibition, as part of our work to build an autism-aware Ireland, supported by the Department of Justice & Equality, in venues across the country since June 2016.
The aim of this pop-up exhibition is to engage with all people, in gaining a greater insight into what it is like to live with Autism. While many people have heard the word Autism, very few truly understand it and fewer still have a sense of what it is actually like to face the challenges Autistic people experience.
This exhibition is presented as a self-guided tour which makes it accessible and engaging for visitors. It includes an audio guide and a range of activities to enable visitors to “step into the shoes” of An Autistic individual.
Have you ever considered:
- How would you feel if you could not read or see words clearly?
- How would you feel if you could not understand what people are saying to you because you did not understand the language?
- How would you feel if you could not hear directions being given to you, because you can hear all the surrounding noise? How would you feel if you could not communicate using your voice? How else would you get your message across the people?
- How would you feel if the texture or smell of food felt so unpleasant that you did not want to eat it?
- How would you feel if you found it difficult to walk up and down stairs and use public transport?
At our exhibition, we will answer these questions and let you experience some of these challenges!
The idea of the exhibition is not to be a local attraction, rather it is hoped that it will act as a catalyst in local communities and workplaces – engaging all people from different backgrounds into thinking about their role in building a more inclusive society for Autistic people.
Becoming an adult and starting out in life can be hard for everyone but for Autistic people, who can find change difficult, it can be especially tough. It can also be tougher when people don’t understand the condition and so, don’t include people with the condition in school, college, the workplace and the community.
We encourage visitors to check out the exhibition and to become part of the answer to building an inclusive society.
Book an Autism Experience Exhibition:
We are currently taking bookings for 2021. If you would like to host our Autism Experience Exhibition, get in touch with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org!